Transportation: USDOT/ MNDOT
Do you have a Certified Medical Examiner near you? To Find out if you have a Certified Medical Examiner near you...
- Check out FMCSA's Website at: https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/Drivers.seam. Enter your Zip Code to find out who and where the nearest Certified Medical Examiner is.
- The National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners Fact Sheet.
24 Hr Emergency Response Number
All shipping papers for hazardous materials are required to have a phone number listed that is answered by a person who is knowledgeable of the product being shipped and how to properly handle an emergency incident involving the product. This phone number must be answered by a person (not a voice mail) whenever the product is in transit 24 hours a day. To assist members comply with this DOT requirement, MCPR has teamed up with West Central Environmental Consultants (WCEC) to provide this 24/7 phone number service at a very reasonable cost.
Drug & Alcohol Testing
Please click on the Drug/Alcohol Testing tab on the left for detailed information on this Federal requirement.
FMCSA Final Hours of Service Rule Changes
The FMCSA final Hours of Service rule changes compared to current rules may be downloaded by
COMMERCIAL VEHICLE/CDL INFO
If you operate any class of vehicle as an employer or employee, you may be subject to commercial motor carrier requirements. This includes driving single unit and combination vehicles of over 10,000 pounds GVW (such as construction vehicles), and vehicles used to deliver packages and other articles. Also included are vehicles designed or used to transport more than eight passengers (including the driver) for compensation. The requirements may include the need to possess a valid U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) medical examiner's certificate, and restrictions on the number of hours you may drive.
Commercial Drivers License Manual
Restricted Seasonal CDL Information/Application
- The info you need on restricted seasonal CDLs.
- Restricted Seasonal CDL For Farm-Related Service Industries information and application.
Carriers Subject to Driver Qualification (DQ) Rules
A carrier engaged in Minnesota intrastate transportation is subject to DQ rules if it is a:
- For-hire carrier operating any size vehicle;
- Private carrier operating a vehicle over 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW);
- Carrier operating a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVW and exclusively transporting “exempt” commodities, as described in Minnesota Statutes, Section 221.025 (M.S. § 221.025);1
- Person transporting HM of a type or quantity that requires the vehicle to be placarded;
- Certain transit providers; or
- Solid waste transporters
- Driver Qualification File Checklist
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS INFO
Q:Do you need a HAZMAT endorsement to haul anhydrous ammonia in a nurse tank?
A: Maybe:You DO NOT need a Hazmat endorsement IF: you have a MN Provisional CDL, which is good for 180 consecutive days per year. It is a provisional license that allows those in our industry to haul Hazardous materials without a CDL with a Hazmat endorsement. It is only good for 180 consecutive days and only 1 per year can be obtained.You DO need a Hazmat endorsement IF: you don’t have a MN Provisional CDL. Example would be if someone that already has a CDL was going to be hauling hazardous material they would need to get the Hazmat endorsement. They wouldn’t be able to get the MN Provisional CDL, since then they would have two CDL licenses, which they cannot do.
DOT Hazardous Materials Information
- Hazardous Materials Online Training Overview
- Hazardous Materials Endorsement for Commercial Drivers - Fingerprint Collection Sites
- Uniform Commercial Vehicle Hazardous Materials Registration
- Hazardous Materials Communication Standards (Info on shipping papers, package marking, labeling and placarding).
Ag Exemption Information
- Click here to read the USDOT directive on the Ag exemption for transporting hours of service issues. This document is what the MN Hwy Patrol is using to interpret federal law and rules.
USDOT Motor Carrier Identification Report
Department of Public Safety
Pro Rate Office
1110 Centre Pointe Curve
Mendota Heights, MN 55118
- Minnesota requirements for hauling nurse tanks, dry fertilizer spreaders, or flat bed trailers transporting a mini bulk.
MINNESOTA STATE PATROL
Contesting a fine/ticket?
If you believe you have been wrongly given a fine/ticket you can challenge the action via the DataQs system.